Friday 1 November 2013

////

Just. Do. It.

I've always been one to think and ponder about things, necessary or unnecessary. Sometimes it just feels good to drift off a little and wonder about things out of the norm. Lately has just been another one of those days, sit think and ponder. Work has always been pretty chill, so that leaves me with ample time aside to do my own stuff. Digressing a little here, but don't you think the internet is the best thing ever invented in this world? Well I do. I pretty much spend most of my time on it anyway. Daytime at work, night time at home, anytime on mobile, I'm always on it. People get sick of looking at the computer 5 days a week, but I clearly don't. Such a closet geek. I'd like to consider it my holy grail sometimes, well at least Google is. Too much information beholds, and answers to many more; I could spend hours just surfing endlessly.

Anyway, enough sidetracking - the point of mentioning all that had an explanation. The fact that I spend so much time surfing about everything that could be anything, it has basically opened up a whole lot of information to me just by doing so. Probably with my constant obsession with Tumblr, it struck to me most recently to do some changes in my life. The first thought was to jump on the fitness bandwagon. What better time than now? And thankfully enough, I've managed to sustain till now after two months or so of hard work. Reading up on loads of information online has helped, but I suspect Tumblr is the real reason to my motivation. I mean, have you seen the hot bods posted there? I don't plan to stop yet, and I hope it never does.

Okay, so back to my thinking pods again. What's always been on my mind ever since being single two years ago was the thought of being alone. I'd always been that reliant and sticky girl who needed attending to, so suddenly being single back then scared me a little albeit refreshing.
It seems to me that the years between eighteen and twenty-eight are the hardest, psychologically. It’s then you realize this is make or break, you no longer have the excuse of youth, and it is time to become an adult – but you are not ready.

Panic attack. Who was I to lean onto? Who could I rely on? Friends around were coupling up themselves and making future plans, and I was back to square one. It was daunting but pretty soon I managed to pick up that independence was liberating all the more. I'm still young, and there's really too much more to see. But there was just one thing. I struck with the travel gene ever since I stepped out of Singapore soil onto Hong Kong gravel (I'd been to other places before but hadn't been as enthusiastic, weirdly), and it's always been an obstacle in me to travel more cause I never seem to be able to find that travel 'companion' to do so. And then, one day while surfing travel blogs (which I dedicate a lot of my time to) it suddenly struck to me that I've been getting it all wrong this whole while. I didn't need a companion to travel across the globe, and I certainly don't need one now either. I'll admit that I'm one of those pussies who tend to worry about everything, and I equally abhor the thought of travelling with backpacks. With those two in mind, I suppose it's been enough to stop me from experiencing the wonders in life. Back on topic, while I still may not have yet to take in the idea of backpacks, I've decided that a solo trip to somewhere could be a good start anyway. The idea in mind: Seoul, the land of Kimchi. Despite my occasional K-drama moments and gushes over beautiful (note the word: beautiful) men, I've gone back and forth on my thoughts of South Korea. An assumption that with just kimchi, cosmetics, and an obsession with plastic surgery, somehow the place has never really took to me much enough to warrant a bad need to visit. Though, I had thought the same with Japan and look how enthralling it turned out to be for me.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
-Lao Tzu

I know I know, Seoul is probably one of best modern cities around and with great transportation systems, it's hardly called much. But baby steps y'know? And I'm hardly ready to backpack through Europe, yet. I plan to take it slow, plus I still need to keep my job to save up more money. As I type this I have already started planning, basically since there's no time to lose. Blogs are always the way to go, and I'm so excited cause I've even pick an awesome hostel for my stay. The next step would be to monitor the air ticket prices like a hawk so that I can snag a good deal. A solo trip, me! I know that I'll probably be scared to my wits by then, but already it feels like it's going to be an amazing experience. Being alone in another foreign land, with people who don't speak your language, and forced to deal with myself, what better way to learn some life lessons from that? To that I say, challenge accepted.


0 Reactions to this post

Add Comment

    Post a Comment